This position originates in-house and secondary market residential loans. Additionally, this position markets other SmartBank products and services to our residential customers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Upholds SmartBank Core Values and Core Purpose.
- Adheres to and embraces the SmartBank Way by Acting Smart, Looking Smart and Being Smart. Actively participates in mortgage department meetings and geographic market meetings.
- Solicits first mortgage loans. Informs prospective loan clients of the financial institution’s underwriting guidelines and applicable secondary market guidelines.
- Accepts online applications and interviews loan applicants by phone or in-person.
- Completes each loan application and all pre-processing functions in a timely manner to permit the disclosures to be sent out within the required three-business day period.
- Works with loan processor in gathering requested documents and necessary signatures for loan files.
- Orders credit reports and analyzes the credit history of applicants to determine their loan repayment capabilities. Completes appropriate underwriting documentation for each loan file.
- Submits loan to AUS for initial approval.
- Ensures maintenance of consistent file management, documentation and loan administration practices.
- Attends loan closings.
- Actively markets SmartBank’s mortgage products and services to realtors, builders, CPA’s, financial planners, title companies, etc. to solicit mortgage business. Completes weekly sales call reports and pipeline reports in a timely manner.
- Handles mortgage loan inquiries (cold calls) generated from advertising sources, customer referrals, etc. for assigned territory.
- Cross-sells all other bank products when warranted and appropriate.
- Complies with all applicable federal, state, and local banking and industry related laws and regulations including but not limited to the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field preferred.
- Two to four years of experience in originating secondary market mortgages, preferably in a bank environment.
Training Requirements (licenses, programs, or certificates):
NMLS registration required; participates in periodic training in mortgage products, services, regulations and compliance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Underwriting knowledge.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, listening).
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and produce results.
- Ability to handle frequent changes.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to the institution’s privacy policies.
- High level of integrity.
- Self-motivated/takes initiative.
- Proficient level of computer competency including Microsoft Windows (Word, Excel, Outlook), typing proficient.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Able to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Willing to accept new ideas and methods and be agreeable to change.
Interested parties can respond at www.smartbank.com. SmartBank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.