Pathway Lending – Memphis, TN
Pathway Lending is a fast growing nonprofit and a national leader in Community Development Lending. In 2019, Pathway Lending is expanding its capabilities. Every day, we work with entrepreneurs to understand their professional opportunities and organizational challenges. Join us and see how our innovative educational services and flexible services can support their goals, grow their business, and create meaningful impacts in communities.
Since 1999, we’ve helped hundreds of businesses grow, loaned $175+ million, and provided 40,000+ hours of coaching. We’ve gained a prominent voice as a leader in mission-driven lending and as a strong partner with local, state, and federal agencies that we hope to leverage in the next phase of our growth. With total lending assets approaching $140 million Pathway Lending has become one of the largest business focused CDFIs in the country.
Pathway Lending is expanding its educational services and is searching for an experienced professional with a track record that balances working in programs that provide hands on delivery of classroom education and business counseling, developing relationships with referral partners and public and private stakeholders.
Business Advisory Services Specialist
While we believe Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) like Pathway can be a game changer for economically underserved entrepreneurs and communities. It’s still a new concept so many people don’t realize how powerful we can be. It will be your job to also introduce public and private stakeholders, as well as small businesses of all stages, to the resources we can provide.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Education, this new position join a team of other Business Advisors who deliver education throughout the state of TN to existing Pathway Lending loan clients as well as those that making funding requests. You’ll be detail oriented but see the big picture. Your delivery of technical, financial skills along with your presentation and facilitation skills and your passion and knowledge of entrepreneurship will play an integral part in helping Pathway Lending achieve its purpose of removing barriers for entrepreneurs.
WHAT EXPERIENCE YOU BRING
- A proven ability to identify risk and deficiencies in the operating and accounting practices of small businesses and provide technical assistance to mitigate these situations.
- Experience in delivering education through one-on-one assistance or group sessions, over telephone or via e-mail/web, on-site or in house, and directly or indirectly through the use of strategic partners.
- Proven ability to deliver classroom education, facilitate workshops and provide business counseling services.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with community partners and public and private stakeholders.
- Proven ability to assess business opportunities.
- Strong oral and written communications skills and experience in public speaking.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and proven ability to assimilate data and report data to stakeholders in a concise manner.
- Strong foundation in QuickBooks to assist clients, Experience in Enterprise level accounting systems.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Collaborate with within the Business Advisory Services Team, other Pathway Lending internal resources, including the Pathway Lending Credit and Lending team, the Pathway Lending Portfolio Management team, the Pathway Women’s Business Center, and the Veteran Business Outreach Center as well as internal lending resources, administrative, accounting, marketing, communications and impact teams to insure that Pathway Lending services are delivered in a synergistic approach with the entire organization.
- Assist the Director of Advisory Services and Business Development Staff to develop and implement a strategy to expand Pathway Lending’s micro-lending program.
- Provide hands-on business consulting (technical assistance) and educational services to portfolio businesses and prospective borrowers (applicants) as well as individuals seeking assistance through Pathway Lending’s Veteran Business Outreach Center or Women’s Business Center.
- Coordinate with other business consultants, including but not limited to accountants, attorneys, human resource professionals, marketing professionals and specialized consultants, to create a referral network for borrowers.
- Facilitate borrower “support groups;” create and maintain strategic partnerships and professional relationships with other business consultants and advisors (“resources”) and leverage those resources to provide additional support to borrowers.
- Fully utilize Salesforce software to track prospects and to maintain records of technical assistance activities including hours to evidence compliance with SBA regulations regarding time allocation and grant reimbursement. Generate periodic technical assistance reports.
- Assist in the preparation of reports to SBA, including but not limited to quarterly, semiannual and annual program reports, program budgets and administrative reports.
- Respond to inquiries concerning the various loan products.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Regional travel is required for this position.
A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER
- Pathway is focused on helping businesses grow and create jobs while also growing the number of small businesses we provide loans to and support through access to capital. How would you see your role as an Advisory Services Specialist helping the organization achieve these goals?
- Pathway Lending provides business loans to a target market that includes African-American business owners and businesses located in low and moderate income communities as well as veteran-owned and women-owned businesses. How would you ensure your delivery of business counseling and classroom education reaches these populations within the Memphis Region?
AT-A-GLANCE “MUST HAVES”
- A curiosity to understand entrepreneurs’ opportunities and challenges
- A passion for helping people
- Bachelor's degree (B. S.) from four-year college or university
- A C.P.A. or masters in accounting or business is preferred
- Three years of work experience – public accounting or small business consulting is a plus
- Must be proficient with QuickBooks and Excel
- Experience with micro-enterprises is a plus
- Significant experience with accounting guidelines and development of accounting systems is critical
- Strong facilitation, presentation and general business counseling skills
- Focus on customer service
- Strong written and oral communication skills
THINK THIS IS THE RIGHT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU?
Please submit a resume, cover letter, salary range requirements and any other relevant facts you would like to share about yourself to Ashley Verbert. Applications received by July 30, 2019 will get preference.
If your background and experience align, you will be asked to complete a short-answer questionnaire and submit a sample of your work – writing, presentation or other examples of prior experience.
Next, if you are chosen as a finalist, you will first be interviewed by The Gabriel Institute and then by Pathway. The final step in the hiring process will be to arrange personal reference calls to confirm details of your work history and performance
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00 /year