Through its government relations program, TBA represents the interests of our member banks to state government as well as federal legislative and regulatory bodies. The department reviews, monitors and responds to legislation and regulatory action, at both the state and federal level, and serves as a resource to legislators, their staff and agency/department staff. In addition, the Government Relations & Legal Affairs staff works with TBA’s member banks to promote the association’s government relations program and to encourage active participation in the process by providing the necessary resources and information needed to communicate effectively on the issues.
Amy Heaslet's On the Hill Column
Amy Heaslet, TBA Executive VP/General Counsel, writes her "On the Hill" column for The Tennessee Banker magazine which is published every other month. She covers legislative news and TBA's GR efforts at the state and federal level. Click on a link below to read her recent columns.
- March/April 2021: TBA presents three bills, pushes back against sales tax burden shifting to banks
- January/February 2021: TBA priorities for the 112th General Assembly
- November/December 2020: TBA and ABA held virtual Washington Conference
- September/October 2020: Thanks to banker outreach, new bill protects against frivolous COVID-19 lawsuits
- July/August 2020: An "unprecedented" General Assembly
- May/June 2020: General Assembly in recess until June 1
- March/April 2020: The battle over lien priority between lenders and construction contractors
- January/February 2020: 111th General Assembly underway
- November/December 2019: Looking forward to the 111th General Assembly
- September/October 2019: Bankers benefit from the changing political landscape
August 2020 State and Federal Election Update
Click here for a recording of the TBA Zoom call giving an update of the state and federal election results. Original call was August 13.
Legal and Government Resources
Find your Legislator
Find a Regulator
Find a Trade Association