TITLE: Manager, Areawide Development Corporation
LOCATION: Alcoa TN
COMPENSATION: Based on experience including relocation assistance (if applicable)
• Are you looking to combine a passion for economic development and community growth with strong leadership and business acumen?
• Do you embrace the challenge of following a long-time leader where you’ll need to instill confidence in the staff and numerous community stakeholders and partners?
• Will you welcome the opportunity to be the face of an organization and a community-wide champion for small business lending and economic development?
• Do you thrive on being a hands-on leader who is collaborative and results-oriented?
• Can you work closely with an active Board and provide the strategic leadership and discipline that will keep everyone focused on the mission?
ABOUT AREAWIDE DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION:
Established in 1981, the Areawide Development Corporation (ADC) is a non-profit organization that fosters businesses investment and promotes job creation by providing small business financing. ADC provides affordable financing to small businesses for fixed-asset acquisitions through three (3) loan programs – SBA 504, Rural Development IRP, and ETDD Revolving Loan Fund. In 1982, ADC was certified by the U.S. Small Business Administration to administer the SBA 504 Loan Program. ADC received funding from the USDA and the Tennessee Growth Fund in 1993 to re-loan to businesses through the Rural Development Intermediary Relending Program. ADC also administers the East Tennessee Development District (ETDD) Revolving Loan Fund funded by the Economic Development Agency. ADC is responsible for marketing, packaging, closing, and servicing each of these loan programs.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
Reporting directly to a Board of Directors comprised of community business leaders, the ADC Manager will:
Provide Strategic Leadership
• Lead the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s strategies, programs, and policies
• Evaluate the impact of new programs, strategies, and regulatory actions; report findings and recommendations to the Board of Directors
• Maintain in-depth understanding of the legal and political climate associated with the small business lending environment in general to ensure that programs remain relevant and competitive
Ensure Financial Strength
• Oversee the financial health of the ADC, including developing long and short range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls are in place
• Set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization operates in a manner that supports the needs of the programs and staff
Cultivate Board Engagement
• Build a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors that is committed and willing to leverage its influence to achieve ADC’s mission
• Create a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board to ensure open communication relative to all aspects of the organization
• Direct preparation of annual reports, minutes of Membership meetings, Board of Directors meetings, agency reports and audits.
Provide Team Management and Development
• Provide strong leadership and direction to ADC staff to ensure continued development of a professional and effective organization
• Provide oversight of staffing, personnel policies, and performance management, lead and guide staff in performance of duties to promote cooperation and teamwork
• Develop and enhance, implement and enforce policies and procedures to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
• Establish and promote a high level of professional and ethical standards within the organization
Be the Face of the Organization
• Represent ADC at various business and community events; participate on panels; deliver speeches/presentations, and promote ADC as thought leaders in the field
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with local, state and federal agencies, elected officials, and strategic partners to promote small business lending in the region in accordance with ADC’s program initiatives and goals
• Actively participate in trade association conferences, seminars, training and other events to build a diverse network and stay abreast of new programs and opportunities for growth
Build the ADC Brand
• In conjunction with the ETDD, create and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will enhance ADC’s identity
• Ensure that ADC’s social media and digital marketing strategies are effective and position the organization as a leading voice in the region
PROFILE OF THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
• Ten years’ experience in lending (5 of which should be SBA-specific)
• Five years’ experience managing a cross-functional team
• Prior budget and P&L responsibility, with strong financial acumen and a track record of generating positive financial results
• Engaged management style that focuses on development, mentorship, and ongoing communication
• Experience as President, CEO or member of a senior leadership team
• Strong written communication skills and comfortable as a public speaker
• Available regularly on evenings and weekends for meetings and events
• Finalist candidates must be able to complete and pass the SBA background check which includes fingerprinting and FBI check.
• Working knowledge of small business lending and small business administration.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience being the face of an organization with employees, key stakeholders, and in the community
• Active involvement with a mission-driven organization as a board member or management team member
• Current with the latest trends and challenges in business lending and economic development
• Well-networked in Greater East Tennessee’s business, political, and economic development communities, or demonstrated success establishing a similar network in another market
• See your efforts have a direct impact on the economic health and growth of the region
• Provide economic resources and support for entrepreneurs from diverse backgrounds
• Work collaboratively with a passionate group of staff members, Board members and partner agencies
• Help reinforce and advance the organization’s reputation as a leader and innovator in its field
• Pave the way for the next phase of regional growth and impact
• Competitive salary and full benefit package provided through personnel management contract with the East Tennessee Development District, a 52-year seasoned non-profit organization serving 72 local governments
Resumes should be submitted by to firstname.lastname@example.org (Interim Director for ADC) and will be accepted through the close of business on February 5th, 2019.